Lord Clyde, Canonbury

Our rating: FAP Rating 4 - Click for an explanation of our ratings      User rating: Not rated yet! - Click for an explanation of our ratings   (3 reviews)
It's been a while since the Lord Clyde transformed itself from Irish boozer Kendrick's Bar and remodelled itself as a "food-led pub". At the the time, the idea that the penultimate vestige of old Islington's public house legacy had become another pseudo-restaurant sent a collective groan around Fancyapint Towers. As it happens, repeated visits indicated you shouldn't always believe the hype; there's no cutlery pre-emptively laid out on tables as we half-expected and this is simply a good pub which happens to sell pretty fantastic food. Service is consistently great: friendly, chatty and polite, while a couple of well-kept real ales whetted our whistles nicely. The music is always spot on, going from Pink Floyd to The Roots via Primal Scream. In addition to a fortnightly quiz on alternate Mondays, they've also started themed food nights which look like they're popular. It's a big pub, still complete with its lovely original Charringtons wood panelling and parquet flooring. Happily, they seem to be bringing more punters in than on our previous visits and we certainly enjoy spending our time here.
09 Nov 2010
I dropped into the Lord Clyde today for a lunchtime pint. I chose the Harveys Best - nice flavour, but a little warm. Surely not their first pint of Harveys at 1.00 in the afternoon? I spotted their advert for Homemade Scotch Eggs and so, wanting to give the Harveys another chance, I ordered a pint and a Scotch Egg. The beer was good second time around. Unfortunately, they apparently only sell Scotch Eggs in the evening! I know I might be showing my age here but isn't lunchtime a perfect time to sell food, particularly bar snacks, as opposed to 3 course meals.
07 Sep 2008
This place really is great - really friendly and relaxed, the best roast dinner I have had for a while, and they do amazing bloody marys. My husband had the beer battered fish and chips - the batter and the chips completely home made, none of this prefab 'gastropub' fare. Perfect for a miserable afternoon with the papers.

342 Essex Road, Highbury, London, N1 3PB
Opening times
Mon-Sun 12:00-00:00
Please check opening times with the pub before making a special journey.

Quiz night - quiz night on alternate Mondays